Minutes of the Jersey Climate Action Network meeting on 28 September 2010

September 30th, 2010 by Jeremy Harris

Present: Nine people were present, including Maria Barnicoat, Mark Forskitt, Jeremy Harris, Nigel Jones, Stephen Le Quesne, Nick Palmer, Ruth Rolls, and Joy Thomson.

Apologies: Apologies were received from Francis Binney.

1. Minutes: The minutes of the meeting held on 31st August, having been previously circulated, were taken as read and were confirmed.

2. Time for Tap campaign: It was noted the Eco-Active ‘Time for Tap’ campaign had received significant media coverage over the last few weeks, and would be continuing through the autumn.

3. Rural Economy Strategy: The group noted the J-CAN response to the white paper on the ‘Rural Economy Strategy’, and asked Nick to forward a copy of this response to Nigel for addition to the J-CAN website.

4. Draft Island Plan: Mark and Nick reported back on the Island Plan consultation meeting they had attended earlier in the month. The discussion at that meeting had centred on climate change and its impact on the island, with an opposing view being expressed by Senator Sarah Ferguson. J-CAN had submitted comments on the draft Island Plan earlier in the year, and it was agreed these should be added to the website (Mark to forward a copy to Nigel).

5. 10:10 Campaign: The group gave further consideration to the national day of action that would be taking place on Sunday 10th October as part of the 10:10 campaign to cut carbon emissions by 10% a year. As agreed at the August meeting, J-CAN will use this occasion to draw attention to the wasteful energy use often associated with I.T., and will propose a number of simple ways of reducing energy consumption – Mark will prepare a letter or press release to send to the local media.

In addition, reference to the 10:10 campaign had been made in the J-CAN submission on the draft Island Plan, and it was noted that many local authorities and other organisations in the U.K. had already pledged their support for the campaign.

6. Copenhagen Petition: The group recalled that Mark had written to the Chief Minister to ask when the Council of Ministers would be publishing its report on ‘how they intend to respond (to the results of the Copenhagen Conference), their report to include detailed proposals and timescales’. A brief reply had been received from the Chief Minister, enclosing a more detailed letter from the Planning and Environment Minister, which stated that ‘the draft Energy White Paper and the Annual Environment Report from the Director of the Environment will jointly address the concerns raised in respect of Climate Change and also the Copenhagen Conference’. Unfortunately the production of both documents had been delayed due to staff illness and a delay in the appointment of the new Director of Environment, and it was now planned the Director’s report ‘will be available in Q4 2010 and the draft Energy White Paper will be available for public consultation by Q4/Q1 2010/2011’.

It was agreed that a further letter should be sent to the Chief Minister and Planning and Environment Minister to note the current position, and to request that priority be given to this issue in order that there should be no further slippage in the timetable, especially as three years had already elapsed since the publication of the Energy Green Paper. It was felt that the Council of Ministers’ response to the results of Copenhagen Conference would need to cover other areas in addition to ‘energy’, as climate change was an issue that affected the whole range of government activity.

7. Cancun Climate Change Conference – COP 16: The group discussed possible local events to mark the next international conference on climate change, which was to take place in Cancun, Mexico from 29th November – 10th December 2010. Maria said that she would be willing to organise a vigil in St. Helier, along similar lines to the one which took place in December 2009 to mark the Copenhagen Conference. In addition, J-CAN would issue a press release in due course to draw attention to the conference and its significance both locally and internationally.

8. Film Evening: Stephen had identified about a dozen films that might be suitable for a J-CAN film evening. A voting facility had been set up on the J-CAN website, and it was decided that a shortlist of five films should be posted on the site with an invitation to supporters to vote on their preferred option. The screening could take place at some point during October/November – Stephen will check on film availability and screening charges. Possible venues include the Frances Le Sueur Centre and St. Brelade’s Youth Club.

Following on from the success of the Jersey Organic Association’s recent screening of the ‘Vanishing of the Bees’, it was proposed that J-CAN should organise a film evening in September 2011 as part of next year’s Branchage Festival. This type of event would be more expensive to organise, and it would probably be necessary to seek some form of sponsorship. The event could take place at a larger venue, such as the Town Hall or the Princess Anne Pavillion at Durrell, and might include a guest speaker and food.

9. Public Talk: In the absence of Francis it was decided to defer this item to the next meeting.

10. Plemont Headland: Stephen reported that the planning application to develop 28 houses on Plemont Headland was to be determined at a meeting at 9.30 a.m. on Thursday 7th October at St Paul’s Centre, Dumaresq Street. The National Trust would be attending the meeting to object to the application, and a show of support would be greatly appreciated.

11. Publicity Officer: Roger and Hazel Jones had now left Jersey, and it was agreed that Mark would write to thank them for their valued support for J-CAN over the last two years. As a result of Roger’s departure there was a vacancy for the post of Publicity Officer. It was decided that Stephen would maintain a scrapbook of newspaper articles relating to J-CAN, and members were invited to bring copies of articles along to meetings for inclusion in the scrapbook. As for press releases, these would be prepared by individual members following discussion at the monthly meetings.

12. Sustainable Living Fair: The Jersey Heritage Trust was interested in organising a ‘Sustainable Living Fair’ at Hamptonne during the next May half term (16th-20th May 2011), and J-CAN had been invited to participate. A meeting to discuss this event had been arranged for 11.00 a.m. on Monday 11th October at the Jersey Museum, and Ruth, Nigel and Maria would attend on behalf of J-CAN.

13. Plastic Bags: Joy reported that the issue of plastic bags had been raised by the Standing Conference of Women’s Organisations, and in this connection she had contacted the Jersey Evening Post to seek their cooperation in drawing attention to this subject. It was agreed that Maria would contact Andy Sibcy at the JEP to inform him of J-CAN’s support for the stance being taken by the Standing Conference.

14. Date of next meeting: The next meeting will take place at 8.00 p.m. on Tuesday 26th October at the One World Centre, Seale Street, St. Helier.

  1. No Comments

Have your say